DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC RELATIONS - Public Relations
at Tufts University - Boston in Boston
Posting Title : DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC RELATIONS – Public Relations
Requisition Number : 1079
City : Boston
State/Province : Massachusetts
Zip code : 02111
Job Description-Overview :
The Tufts University Office of Public Relations is the university’s liaison to the local, national and international news media on behalf of one of the world’s leading teaching and research institutions. The team supporting the Health Science schools and centers in Boston handles all media inquiries, writes and disseminates materials for members of the news media and provides internal and external communications counsel and support for this campus, and when required for other initiatives. The team positively positions faculty experts in key media channels and handles all requests to film and photograph on the campus from the news media, production companies and other third parties. The department provides communications counsel and crisis management to the Boston campus, working with the university´s Director of Public Relations, and Vice President for University Relations as needed.
The Deputy Director of Public Relations manages a public relations team, including two other professionals and student interns, specifically supporting Tufts´ Health Sciences schools and centers in Boston. The Deputy Director also provides communications counsel to faculty and administrators on matters that often involve sensitive issues. The Deputy Director reports to and works closely with the university´s Director of Public Relations and will sometimes function as the director´s back-up. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Marketing the university’s academic excellence and related successes by distilling, sharpening and focusing the messages used in print, electronic media and social media to communicate to external and internal constituents;
- Developing communications strategies and messages to reflect the positioning and branding for these schools and centers;
- Developing and implementing proactive media relations and communications programs that raise the overall visibility of the individual schools under the Tufts University brand. Developing a depth of knowledge on the research, publications, and scholarly expertise of key Tufts experts to maximize media opportunities;
- Ensuring that incoming queries to the Boston campus are handled effectively;
- Cultivating contacts with local, national, international and educational media. Ensuring that Tufts projects, programs and events receive appropriate coverage;
- Acting as a spokesperson to the news media;
- Advising academic and administrative leadership on communications and media strategies and planning
- Supporting the Director of Public Relations on activities in Medford/Somerville and Grafton as needed, including proactive and responsive media relations and issues management;
- Supporting professional development of team, provide regular feedback and assess performance;
- Creating reports and assessing results as needed, including tracking of
Job Description – Requirements :
Basic Requirements: This position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and at least ten (10) years of significant experience in managing public relations/communications for a complex organization, with a strong focus on media relations involving science, health, medicine or other similarly challenging disciplines. The selected individual must demonstrate the experience and seasoning needed to handle complex communications challenges, excellent judgment, strong written and verbal communications skills, proven management experience and the ability to work effectively with a variety of other departments and people. The selected individual must possess solid news sense and be able to juggle multiple priorities. He or she must be able to perform well as an individual contributor as well as a manager.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience in corporate or agency PR and media relations for higher education and/or health/life science is preferred. Experience in print, broadcast or online journalism is a plus. A post-graduate degree is also a plus.
Special Work Schedule Requirements: Irregular hours, including some evenings, weekends and on-call responsibilities.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/8typ57w